“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Circadian rhythm

Circadian rhythm is one aspect of chronobiology ~ the study of cyclic and temporal phenomena in living organisms. Events that cycle within a day's period of time are referred to as circadian, from the Latin circa diem meaning "about a day". Dependent upon a combination of both environmental and physiological factors, circadian rhythms are controlled by a sort of pacemaker, if you will. Really it's a biological clock.

The earth rotates on its axis in a 24-hour rhythm and the transition from day to night and its impact on the environment, circadian rhythm is ubiquitous in life on earth. From single-cell to highly developed organisms the biological pacemaker brings organisms into synchronicity with the rhythm of their environment.

The common terms an "early bird" or a "night owl" associating birds with a specific time of day probably arises from the fact that birds are fine examples of circadian rhythm at work, as well as circannual rhythms, in some migratory species. In fact, birds during the migrating season appear to have a biological ability, perhaps a plasticity, if you will, to remain alert and active and overcome sleep deprivation, which will typically in other organisms reduce both cognitive and physical function. In retrospect, it's no wonder that it appeared almost effortless for Doug to chat with me into the wee hours of the night for those months in early 2004 and be already up "with the birds" bright and early the next day with an offline message waiting for me.

Back to circadian rhythm as it relates to this story. As it's associated with environmental change, my day-to-day existence from January 2005 onward changed rhythm, dramatically. In the throws of winter, the daylight hours had reduced to a brief showing of 8 hours out of 24, from 8 am to 4 pm. My environment was completely devoid of any noise or activity associated with former business functions. All my employees long gone, I'd travel to the office, just over two-miles from my home, each morning and return to my home at night.

While tending to financial wind-up affairs the sound of the computer keys clicking throughout the day as I did my data crunching was the only sign of activity within the cool building. During the day and after returning home at night, I abbreviated the tedium with an occassional web search here and there. I read anything that I came across. In point of fact, I'd pick a subject each day from quantum mechanics to etymology of language, from the art of cloissoné to "how to build a dry well". This became my only source of entertainment, except for my daily cruise through the fora at Visa Journey and British Expats, principally, and ILW on a rare occasion. For the most part I was a silent observer, that is, until a "fellow biologist" began to private message me asking about my background and what area of research I was engaged in.

No comments: