“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Folie à deux

uestions about each other's personal life and background were commonplace in chats with CMR. We were both not only fascinated to discover how much we shared in common, in terms of our outlook in life, but both of us also enjoyed linguistics and evaluating anecdotes, quips or words that had challenging or varied meanings and derivations. I'd quickly given him the affectionate nickname "Octopus" because he was really adept in searching the Internet for the answer and pasting it into our chats at near lightning speed. We'd already determined, in so far as personality type is concerned, that of

Type A: Competitive, driven, stressed, workaholic
Type B: Relaxed, patient, friendly
Type C: Reticent, unassertive, nice to a fault
we we're both Type A personality types at work, I lean towards being a little more Type B in close relationships and at home and he claimed he was definitely more Type C when it came to meeting women. Nevertheless, the ever-changing discourse kept me on my toes, and in an effort to meet the challenge of his quick and nimble mind, I learned relatively quickly to "google" the occasional fact and report the results. It wasn't long before I had earned the nickname "Octopussy" .

Such was the case the following morning, before meeting the Japanese at their hotel for a last get-together prior to their return flight. CMR reported that their contract had been secured, and they were just reviewing the fine details. He was pleased; it was a big contract. That's when he asked me if I knew what "Folie à deux" was. My rusty familiarity with French told me that it roughly translated to "madness shared by two" but I didn't know in what context. Within a moment, he pasted a reference from the web-based DSM-IV on the screen.


"Shared psychotic disorder (Folie à deux) – a disturbance in an individual who is strongly influenced by a person who has an established delusion with similar content". This condition is rather rare, only 800 cases diagnosed to date, or so it appears. In essence, it describes a person that develops a delusion based upon a close relationship with another individual, the inducer, that has a Psychotic disorder with prominent delusions. The individual comes to share the delusional beliefs of the primary case, in whole or in part. The inducer is usually dominant in the relationship and gradually imposes the delusional behaviour on the more passive and initially more healthy second person."

Wondering where this conversation was going, I asked what this was all about and was relieved when CMR announced the news. "I just bought her, or I just received word from the broker that the seller accepted my offer and she's mine. She's being sailed around to the Gulf right now, should be here in a week!"

He sent a file of a picture, which appeared within moments on my computer. "Folie à Deux", was a racing yacht. Odd name for a yacht I thought, or rather we thought in unison, as just as I was about to say that he chimed in with a comment that he'd like to change the name, even though in sailing circles it was considered bad luck to do so. With that, he announced that he was running late and must take off for the hotel and then airport and would check in with me later that night.


No comments: