“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"So shines a good deed in a naughty world"

Epictetus, quoted earlier in this odyssey, was a Greek philosopher who modelled his doctrines on stoicism ~ a philosophy of life designed to entice personal development to embrace virtue, integrity and wisdom. According to Epictetus, the essence of good lies within and one should not be motivated by vice, but rather by virtue and the pursuit of truth.

Of the several metaphors for life that Epictetus taught, one was “life is weaving". He philosophised that situations we are faced with may not always be under our control, but we can usually command the way we react or respond to them. In other words, the particular thread that is used to weave the fabric of life may not be ours to select, but what’s important is 'how we weave with it'. What sets a virtuous person apart from the rest, is how the game is played and the role played in life determines which actions are appropriate.

“But I wish to be purple. That small part which is bright, and makes all the rest appear graceful and beautiful. Why then do you tell me to make myself like the many? And if I do, then how shall I still be purple?” ~ Epictetus
To remain calm in the face of adversity, and regardless of whatever provocation, not fall to negative emotions, but to act virtuously, is the essence of Epictetus' doctrine.

After 28 months of unpleasant events and still no response to the many requests for answers from Doug, it might have been natural to cave to the pressure of my circumstances and become cynical and angered by the manner in which I had been ignored and mistreated. In fact, it may have appeared to others, not only natural but healthy to strike out accordingly. However, that would be contrary to my principles. If I were to allow myself to react in less than a virtuous manner, “how then shall I still be purple?”

Epictetus stated that the "pursuit of truth is virtuous". It was with that in mind that I decided to make contact again with "Doug".

How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world ~ Shakespeare

No comments: