“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Vox clamantis in deserto

ebruary 2006 came and went, and no acknowledgment from “Doug” relating to my application for the summer intern position in California. I was dismayed.
I thought that, at the very least, in his capacity with this institution "Doug" would have informed me by email that either I was totally unqualified for the position, or that all positions had been filled. I discovered that fact when I visited his web page to see if there was an alternate business-related email address for him, at the end of the month. Sure enough, not only was there a bold announcement that all positions had been filled, but also a notice that he was already in the field. I felt hurt. Not because I wasn’t selected ~ that was a long shot and I knew that I had no specific background that prepared me, but more because I viewed the lack of a rejection notification as another barb cast at me.

Meanwhile, after a long respite from active participation on ILW, I'd answered a thread that was directed to me by a new member who was seeking advice on how to report an alien spouse she claimed may have married her for fraudulent purposes. Unfortunately, BS began to ridicule me again. He is the member that I'd posted to on “Doug’s” behalf more than two years earlier, that culminated in a big mess. (I described the particular circumstances for that in the entries to this blog entitled, Five Reflect on the Mystery of Roanoke, and Wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch . )

BS was even more determined in this latest come back. His threats were full-throttle and visceral. He verbalised that he would stop at nothing and was intent on destroying my credibility and reputation amongst my industry colleagues and family members. I spawned in a series of new emails from him to me that would be unsettling for anyone to read. Indeed, I was once again facing his wrath and this time one that had been festering for 24 months. It was frightening. He claimed he believed in an "eye for an eye" and I knew it was not idle discourse. I offered explanation as to why I had spoken on “irritated’s” behalf, but BS would not accept it.

Knowing that “Doug” had originally asked me to post something on ILW, on his behalf, and, as such, had really placed me in this situation, in the first place, I forwarded BS’s correspondence to “Doug” with a plea for some help or moral support. Three of these alarming emails were forwarded to "Doug" from February to April 2006 ~ all, yes indeed, went unanswered. I was forced to consider that this was deliberate and quite possibly "Doug" didn’t care if something untoward would become of me. What made it particularly upsetting was that these threats to my personal safety had arisen out of the very favour that "Doug" had asked of me in engaging with BS on ILW in the first place!

The Latin, "Vox clamantis in deserto”, its translation being “a voice crying in the wilderness” harkens to John the Baptist, whose proclamations of Christ, while a hermit in the wilderness, were undeeded and in vain.
This expression is also the motto of one of the eight member schools of the Ivy League, that was considered at one time to be the frontier of the European settlement and was built to introduce Christianity to the American Indians ~ a beacon of cultural sophistication and learning that emanates from an otherwise quite pastoral Northeastern setting.

Naturally, “Doug” would be intimately familiar with this motto, having a Post Graduate research position at that very institution. I would learn that despite my loyalty, despite my caring and forgiving nature, despite my need for his help, for answers, or for support… my cries would go in vain.
Ego vox clamantis in deserto".
"I am a voice crying in the wilderness".

No comments: