“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Empirical research ~ fragmentation

arooned at home for the next three days, I took the opportunity to begin to mentally review all the information that Doug and I had shared in the previous 10 months, to see if I had overlooked a fact or clue that would shed light on his real location. I had little to go on, other than his emails, as right from our first online encounter he'd requested that I not archive our chats, citing that it would add to his general sense of discomfort, and especially since this relationship was developing in an online environment.

Knowing that Mr. Hunt wouldn't be able to begin until late November meant at least a month before I would begin to know what was going on. Although by nature I am a very patient person, I was keen to make contact with Doug, in fact, my last email in October had gone unanswered and I was due for my once-every-three week contact. Additionally, although I was not at all inclined to agree, I could hardly just dismiss the comments that Mr. Hunt had made. I decided to search the internet to look for another service company in the area. I stumbled upon an advertisement for Missing Link in Atlanta and proceeded to send a generic email from their website, asking if they could assist me in finding out the name and company information for a person I was interested in meeting. Within minutes an email reply appeared in my inbox with instructions for me to provide my phone number. I complied.

When the phone rang the voice was male with a distinctly Southern accent. Polished and polite, he proceeded to give me a brief recap of his background in investigative work and the range of services his company provides. He assured me that he would have no problem finding the information I needed. Deep inside I felt terribly conflicted. Doug was an intensely private person and I knew that there was a reason for it, and yet both investigators, so far, had said essentially the same thing to me. "You have a right to know who you've been communicating with for nearly a year. Outside his trip to the West Coast, you spent more than 600 hours chatting. That's a significant amount of time and especially after the betrayal in your marriage. You're very, very vulnerable and a good person will understand completely why this is not only necessary but prudent and very wise".

The conversation continued. I was asked to provide a summary of the issues and he replied with a laundry list of possible services available. A retainer of $1,200.00 would be required before the work was to begin. Mr. Henderson's schedule was wide open.
"If you email me the data and wire the funds immediately, I'll get right to it" he shared. I ended the conversation with a request, "Please, this is my friend, I care for him dearly and I want this to be done electronically. No visits, no surveillance, nothing like that. Just a name address and phone number check. He's my only friend and I feel horribly even thinking about doing this". "Not to worry, ma'am. We're completely discreet" was Henderson's reply.
Never having used Western Union before I enquired of the process and was told that instructions would be forthcoming in an email. Moments later, upon receipt of Missing Link's proposal and pro forma, I made the transfer of funds.

Upon returning to the office, to add to the lingering exhaustion, unsettled feelings and deep disappointment I was feeling from the failed attempt to meet Doug (yes, a wild goose chase would be an apt way to put it), I learned that my business had been under intense attack while I had been away, as well.

No comments: