“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Specht-acular specht-acle?

Not to continue to "hammer" a point, but it bears a little "drilling" down. My ex-husband had thoroughly used me and I had later been made well aware of that fact. After the divorce was final DF continued to be obstinate about returning that which the Court had mandated. I'd dismissed the whole matter of what had obviously been a pseudo-marriage as one event, unlikely to be repeated, with a man who clearly never had any respect for me as a person. OK, can't cry over spilled milk ~ time to move on. And move on I did, to the best of my ability.

Enter the second man I'd encountered, seemingly compassionate towards the horrors of learning I'd been treated as an inanimate object, and had suffered damage as a consequence. Claiming not to abandon me and to be there as a friend, he then simply vanished. Had I not discovered that he maintained a presence online in the same fora as I, there could be any number of reasonable explanations. But what to make of this now?

During the many hours of chatting that Doug and I had enjoyed earlier in the year, Doug had once referred to me as Aphrodite and he as Poseidon. As Greek mythology goes, there were 12 immortal deities that ruled the world. In retrospect and after learning more from the web-crawling I had done in early December, I believe we were more closely akin to the Roman deities, Venus and Mars.

Equated with the Greek equivalent, Aphrodite, Venus was the Roman goddess of love and beauty, but originally a vegetation goddess and patron of gardens and vineyards. Her favourite animals were the dove, sparrow, swallow, swan and turtle. Venus was touted as the "queen of pleasure" and the deity that was devoted to bring joy to gods and humans, alike. Often depicted unclothed, as goddess of sexual healing, she epitomises erotic beauty and so naked in her presentation is justified. Venus' lover was Mars.

Originally, Mars was a god of agriculture whose role was to protect crops and guard animals from disease. The Roman god of fertility and vegetation, he only later became affiliated with war. Mars was drawn to Venus' intoxicating beauty and she became his lover. Mars is often depicted accompanied by Fuga and Timor, the personifications of "flight" and "fear". The sacred animals and symbols to Mars are the wolf and the woodpecker.

Yes, Picus, the sacred symbol of Mars, a minor woodland agricultural deity associated particularly with the fertilisation of the soil and as protector of the forests, streams and haunting springs. Picus was endowed with the gift of prophecy. Often depicted in a purple cloak secured with a gold clasp, symbolisation that is preserved in the plumage of the bird. In zoology, Picus is a genus of woodpecker.

Yes, a myriad of clues, arranged into their proper placement would begin to make sense of the puzzling mystery...

Specht [German]
(n.) A woodpecker; -- also speight, spekt, spight.

Sphyra [Greek]
(v.) To hammer

Picus; (pl.) Pici. [Latin]
(n.) A woodpecker. Reference to the genus of woodpeckers.

No comments: