“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The wolf in sheep's clothing

ncidentally, I'd come to learn that not all spiders use webs for capturing prey. The ground-dwelling member of Lycosidae, the Wolf Spider, stout in body and frame with long thick and powerful legs, will have nothing to do with a web. No, it prefers more stable terrain and with a total of eight eyes has no problem scouting its environment for a tasty meal while on the constant prowl. Its mass and speed more than adequately prepare it to actively chase down prey and overcome it with two able front legs.

Wandering hunters either during the day or at night, many wolf spiders dig burrows where they lie in wait for passing prey. Yes, the wolf is a crafty creature, utlising even a trap door at the burrow entrance to conceal the den, while its natural speed and visual acuity facilitate a successful chase and capture. The Wolf spider of the Lycosidae family is always on the hunt, and in this recital he used "Lycos" as a search engine to find his next meal.

When Detective Southard contacted me just a week before Christmas, I was taken aback. After JM Henderson of Missing Link had failed to perform the services upon receipt of the money I'd sent him, I'd enquired with the Police Department to see if there had been any similar complaints about his operation. What ensued was a full-blown investigation into his activities by the local law enforcement department that resulted in the State of Georgia charging him for operating without a license. The Detective was alerting me by email that they had arrested Mr. Henderson and the State would be subpoenaing me to testify, when Henderson was scheduled for arraignment. Apparently, I would receive something in the US mail in ample time to make the 1800 mile trip.

A number of days later, presumably after JM Henderson had learned that he was being charged by the State for practising without a license, a rather accusatory email from him appeared in my inbox. To my dismay, Henderson was angry that I'd contacted the Police and was holding me responsible for his conviction!

I couldn't take any more incoming artillery ~ I'd been under siege by multiple people for months, I missed my companion and friend, Doug, intensely; my company was being dismantled and I was feeling exceptionally alone and as if the world were closing in on me. I clicked "forward" and directed the email to the Detective in the Gwinnet County with an "FYI" note in the subject line
.

A Wolf found great difficulty in getting at the sheep owing to the vigilance of the shepherd and his dogs. But one day it found the skin of a sheep that had been flayed and thrown aside, so it put it on over its own pelt and strolled down among the sheep. The Lamb that belonged to the sheep, whose skin the Wolf was wearing, began to follow the Wolf in the Sheep's clothing; so, leading the Lamb a little apart, he soon made a meal off her, and for some time he succeeded in deceiving the sheep, and enjoying hearty meals. ~ Aesop

No comments: