“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Behind the avatar

dear friend once told me that it is sometimes easy to forget there is “a person behind the "avatar”. When flippant and carefree remarks are made, we might be unaware of how they might impact the reader. How true that is. Though the figurative wall might be either a mask or a shield for some, in my case it was neither. Hopefully, this gesture of openness will prove that I am sincere and may motivate others to believe and have faith that there is goodness in all of us.

When I joined an immigration message board in July 2003, some of the questions I asked caused others to wonder why I was there, whether I was the aggrieved USC spouse of an alien immigrant, or the immigrant, masquerading as the USC wife. Efforts to assure others of my sincerity were to no avail, and so, I promised that when the time came to leave the board, I would tell my whole story and thereby show those who doubted me from the start, that I am, who I claim; my beliefs pure and my story accurate and real.

At the time I joined ILW I had a critical concern and was not at liberty to share every detail, as specifics were confidential, in light of imminent legal process. I found myself completely alone with no one and nowhere to turn for advice. I thought that place could be an outlet for me to find, not only important immigration related information, but solace and perhaps friendship. Whether it is just the nature of the forum, or indeed general mistrust, while there I witnessed outrageous criticism from some members ~ much targeted at me. These comments ran the gamut from accusations of being a spiteful, vindictive spouse, to being psychologically impaired, incapable of moderation and the cause of the breakdown of my marriage. Despite attempts to defend such aggressive and unjust postures, the criticisms continued.

Let it be known that, having been a victim of nearly a decade of deceit from my ex-husband, and all of the pain I have endured as a result, I could not be dishonest or deceitful with anyone.

It's no coincidence that I should choose to begin this blog on February 12th. A date that bears particular significance to me and the date that one of the individuals that I'd encounter along my journey would choose to send a very pointed message to me, two years ago, that would be pivotal in a change in my outlook towards people. But all of this will become more clear as we move through the various episodes, chronologically.

No comments: