“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Benivoli coniunctio animi maxima est cognatio

The alliance of a well-wisher's mind is truest kinship ~ Publilius Syrus

Throughout this blog I've often quoted from the Sententiae of Publilius Syrus, a playwright during Caesar's realm, whose name was most likely derived from his native homeland, Syria. Publilius Syrus was later liberated from slavery and went on to produce a wealth of work, the Sentences being the only complete body remaining today. It's a series of moral pithy maxims that have become the cornerstone for teaching the value and effects of compassion and kindness, which, while demanding some patience, are critical in the development of a trusting rapport with others. One of the most commonly known sayings is,
“You can accomplish by kindness, what you cannot do by force.”

Such was the essence of CMR's bond with me. Knowing how deeply betrayed I had been, and acknowledging that I was vulnerable and apprehensive, he recognised my trepidation in getting close to someone and did all he could to encourage me to trust him. With that said, I also appreciated any step he took to disclose more details of his private life. I knew, based upon all he had shared so far, it took a lot for him to impart.

We'd been in close contact throughout the better part of January when he divulged that part of his own trepidation was due to his social status. Being the son of an accomplished business man, who'd taken up the reins of a successful enterprises\ and was, naturally, of very significant wealth, he didn't wish for that information to colour my impression of him. CMR explained that he'd experienced many people in the past that had befriended him due to his socio-
economic stature, rather than his personality. Despite his own interest in maintaining a certain sense of privacy, he carefully filled in more details stating that the conversations we'd had up to that point demonstrated that I was not attracted to the "package", but to him. He was correct.

I was willing to be patient, nonetheless, there was some concern on my part that we could lose touch somehow, and absent a phone number for him, I'd lose yet another person that I'd become close to in my life. Yet, I knew that betrayal causes one to be very leery and I didn't wish to apply too much pressure on him at this time. Instead, I simply wanted him to know that I would be very hurt if he'd vanish one day, as DF and all those that had been my nucleus had done. He assured me of the reasons he was spending so much time with me. He was drawn to me; he cared for me; he found it difficult to go for more than a few hours without speaking to me; and, most importantly, he was here and was "not, not, not going to abandon me".
That night, with the knowledge that we respected each other's position and both wanted to dispell any cause for discomfort or insecurity, I slept well for the first time in more than six months.

No comments: