“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Feverish nights in Fiji

oice chat enabled CMR and I to explore topics that we might not have been inclined to do in written form. Perhaps it was the unrestrained, spontaneity that verbal communication permitted, or the melodic and rhapsodic nature of his voice, or the fact that we'd been in contact for more than 200 hours that it seemed natural to explore each other's thoughts and desires a little more.

Languages intrigue me. Forced to sit through three years of Latin in my British school days before becoming eligible to study any other language, provided a good foundation for future language studies, although today I regret that I've forgotten most of what I learnt. While a student at Princeton many years ago, I juggled a hectic course schedule while adding 3 Asian languages to my repertoire, in order to write my thesis. Pitch and tonal quality are critical to mastering oriental languages. I think that's how I developed acuity for identification of speech and voice quality.

The elements that comprise the human voice are space, air, muscle, articulators and mucous. The character of the voice ranges dependent upon the use of the muscles, the size of the space, the control of the airflow, the volume of mucous and the articulators, much like components of a musical instrument. Professional announcers and vocalists learn to manipulate and enhance the various elements to gain the best sound from the instrument.

CMR’s was a voice I would never forget, and would be able to identify at any time, in any place. The colour was a rich, velvety brown. Full-bodied and deep in tone, emanating from within the chest, and suggesting a man of some size, consistent with his 6 foot frame. Masculine, yet relaxed. Resonant and melodic, articulated, clear and crisp. Unstrained with no phonation breaks, suggesting masterful control and delivery of air. I sensed his voice could have been schooled, and was not at all surprised when he told me that he had done a fair amount of acting in his past. He was also an avid runner, which accounted for the ability to sustain breath, important in good voice control and had studied linguistics in the past that had evolved into work that lead to a Master’s degree in computer modeling of whale and bird communications.

Longfellow, wrote "The rich music of a summer bird, heard in the still night, with its passionate cadence.”

Conversations on voice chat with CMR were intoxicating, effortless and flowing. From lace to sensual fantasy, we explored each others’ thoughts and desires, his voice comforting and reassuring, soothing and passionate, enveloping me like a warm blanket, and as “intimate as the rustle of sheets”. We spoke of being in each other’s embrace, of places we’d like to visit… of gentle caresses on solitary beaches in Fiji.

The conversations would crescendo to a feverish pitch before we signed off…and I would hurry home to join him once more on the beaches of Fiji to finish the story in my dreams.



"The melting voice through mazes running;
Untwisting all the chains that tie.
The hidden soul of harmony.” ~ Milton

No comments: