“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Crossed wires

I sent Doug a warm email reply, assuring him that he'd not been mistaken and that I didn't take that stance to protect my marriage at all. Feeling sure that I knew how much courage it could have taken to extend himself to me after having been a victim of deceit in the past, I wanted to assuage any concerns he might have. I asked him to forgive my doubts ~ I was still recovering from a terrible act of betrayal by DF and wasn't sure if my natural antenna was as finely-tuned as it should be, and I was questioning my own ability to distinguish between fact and fiction as a result of the events that occured at the end of my marriage. I reassured Doug that I was, indeed, inexplicably drawn to him. It was unplanned, but I sensed I was falling for him, and despite the turmoil associated with the impending divorce, I was developing strong feelings. Most of all, I was fearful to let my heart feel something only to be hurt again, especially since he hadn't yet given me a manner of direct contact until this last email arrived. I was pleased that he'd shared his real name and phone contact and hoped he could forgive my rash reaction.

We discussed the email in some detail when Doug checked in with me that day. Computers! Drat. I'd been struggling with my computer and was getting more and more frustrated. With my annual report held hostage in it and some apparent computer glitch preventing me for retrieving it, our conversation lapsed from my profuse apologies to computer maladies.

He had three post graduate degrees, in computers and engineering and had referred to himself often as a "computer geek/engineer/biologist wannabe", so I had confidence that he could suggest what to do to fix my computer that evening. He proceeded to offer step by step instructions on how to clean up things. It involved deleting all "fluff" as he termed it, that is, anything that fell in the Yahoo messenger variety, in order to eliminate any external variables. Calmly he asked that I print out a series of instructions from the chat, and follow his directions carefully. The problem should be fixed in a jiffy. I agreed. Wishing me good luck we signed off so I could take care of the task at hand. He asked that I send him an IM if I ran into a problem and certainly one once the matter was resolved. We logged off.

Unfortunately, I struggled with the blasted machine for more than a couple of hours, totally frustrated that I was not able to clean off whatever was hanging up the RAM. I tried a variety of methods to no avail. The unit would have to be repaired and the tech I'd placed a call to earlier in the day had not returned my call. I was getting a little bothered. I had a deadline to meet, my work was only on this machine (all proprietary or sensitive information was always saved to my secure unit rather than to the server on the LAN) and I was missing my daily dose of friendly banter with computer geek and constant companion, Doug. I gave up at midnight and hoped to resolve the issue the next morning.

To my dismay the prognosis wasn't good for the computer. It would require significant work and I was without a tool for most of the next day. As it approached the 24-hour mark since my last contact with Doug, I thought I should try to get word to him that I was battling in "computer hell". I went home early that night to use my home computer to search the Internet for the name of his company, from the clues he had given. I poured over pages of text to locate a company that fit the description he'd offered. Bingo, RS&H. Noting the phone number of the Tally office location. I dialed. Oddly his name was not in the voice mail directory, but I tooled through the main voice mail menu to see if I could reach the coporate offices. Still no luck. Disappointed and exhausted I decided to call it a night and try again in the morning.

No comments: