“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Able in fable


Fable \Fa"ble\, v. t.
To feign; to invent; to devise, and speak of, as true or real; to tell of falsely.

In what had become typical fashion, KMC confirmed that her new operation would not have the ability to pay DF until it was better-established and continued to assert that financial independence was one of the reasons for the marriage breach in the first place. Strangely, both she and he continued to deny that any tryst or romantic relationship had occurred between them, a fact that would be clearly refuted by evidence to surface later. Nor was she aware of some of the evidence I had already uncovered. I said nothing. She went on to reproach me for forcing my husband to resign, claiming that the stress placed upon him would only serve to worsen the state of the marriage and pressed for me to agree to provide adequate financial support from the jointly-owned business so that he would not become reliant upon generosity that she'd be more than willing to offer as his good friend.

I asked her to cease calling me, as I had once before, but it made no difference. I hung up the phone only to find it rang several more times, and more odious comments were placed in voice mail.


The Wolf and the Lamb

The Wolf, meeting with a Lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea to justify to the Lamb the Wolf's right to eat him. He thus addressed him: "Sirrah, last year you grossly insulted me."
"Indeed," bleated the Lamb in a mournful tone of voice, "I was not then born." Then said the Wolf, "You feed in my pasture." "No, good sir," replied the Lamb, "I have not yet tasted grass." Again said the Wolf, "You drink of my well." "No," exclaimed the Lamb, "I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me."
Upon which the Wolf seized him and ate him up, saying, "Well! I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations."

The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny. ~ Aesop

The One-Eyed Doe
A Doe blind in one eye was accustomed to graze as near to the edge of the cliff as she possibly could, in the hope of securing her greater safety. She turned her sound eye towards the land that she might get the earliest tidings of the approach of hunter or hound, and her injured eye towards the sea, from whence she entertained no anticipation of danger. Some boatmen sailing by saw her, and taking a successful aim, mortally wounded her. Yielding up her last breath, she gasped forth this lament: "O wretched creature that I am! to take such precaution against the land, and after all to find this seashore, to which I had come for safety, so much more perilous".

Trouble comes from the direction we least expect it. ~ Aesop

No comments: