“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Territorial or social?

earning that he would be required to leave the business sent DF to the roof. I explained that the alternative, for me to resign and place the income I provided in jeopardy made no economic sense. My salary was significantly higher than his as a President of a company and it was underwriting all of our day-to-day living costs, expenses and funding trips, entertainment and all of the children's schooling and personal needs. DF's income was used primarily for child support and to underwrite his personal spending when he visiting his family. I also recommended that we pursue the gym concept, but he would have nothing or it. "I'm not going to build a business single-handed" he insisted.

That's when I imagine a light bulb went off in his head and he then announced that he was considering assisting KMC in setting up her new establishment after the construction project was complete. Evidently, the temporary contract had evolved into a job offer to manage her competing operation, and despite my objections earlier, he'd already agreed to assist in setting it up ~ who knows whether he would have jumped on the opportunity or not, had it not been for the recent newsflash that he'd have to go. Nonetheless, he was certainly using that as his ready-made excuse, now.

I reminded him of the Partnership Agreement we had with clauses relating to proprietary information and that to take up employment with a competitor would be a breach of his fiduciary duty to our company, but he argued that he had no choice. This was ludicrous, because he knew that he'd find something to do, either financed by us or there was my family, who'd offered to start a new business for him, when he first arrived in the USA and was thinking of having a number of irons in the fire. I don't know if it was the apprehension of having all of the stress of a business operation on his hands or if he liked the idea of not having to be tied to it, but he objected to any solutions I suggested. He was resolute. He'd take a job with his former mistress and began to make demands on what he would need from me in order to agree to leave prior to June 1...

No comments: