“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, March 16, 2007

"Stabilimenta" in absentia


During DF's trip, the pressure did not subside, but came, principally, from KMC and her behind the scene machinations. Information as to my every move was leaking from my company to her and she and DF had made prior contact with the shareholders to suggest that there were acts of impropriety on my part within the organisation. I had little concern with these rumours, but I was keen to identify the source. My cell phone voicemail was the receptacle for more intimidating comments and harassment, ranging in subject matter from my mode of dress resembling that of a prostitute, to accusations that the modelling I had done when I was in my 20s was indeed for "favours" from photographers and comments to suggest that she had gained access to my financial affairs. I was clearly under surveillance and decided to move any sensitive information pertaining to the prior divorce action and my personal financial affairs to the safe in my office building.

Meanwhile, the mortgage closing on the refinance was scheduled for the week following DF's return, another ad for the truck was running in the local newspaper at DF's request and all tax returns had been submitted prior to the April 15th deadline.

In his absence, finding a little time on my hands, I decided to preview eBay to look for birthday gifts for the boys. The eBay account had been set up in mid-2001, mainly by DF to collect memorabilia from his native country and to begin a number of personal collections. In order to receive announcements and confirmations of bids a yahoo email account had been established, which DF and I also used to communicate with the boys and members of his extended family overseas. Consequently, we both had the access password. Seeing quite a range of items that I thought suitable, I saved the search terms, thinking that I'd check again when DF returned to get his feedback on the ideas.

The spiral threads that comprise the hub of a spider's web glisten in the sunlight, luring prey to light upon them, while the spider sits, a distance away and waits.

No comments: