“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Phenotypic plasticity

ursuant to the decision, the June 1 deadline was imminent for DF to leave our business and take up employment full time at KMC's operation and more demands were made by him, using the intervention of my family and partners as the perfect and logical excuse. He'd need to be compensated, in absentia, by our jointly-owned business until the new operation were capable of remunerating him equivalent to what he had been earning. With eyes filled with tears he sat in my office and made the proposition. "I'm doing this for us, you know, and it's the least you should do to make the transition easier" he claimed. "We're both lucky that KMC has offered me a position, and from this point on I want you to not only realise but demonstrate that!"

He passed a sheet of paper across the desk, upon which he'd jotted down what appeared to be the context of yet another agreement he wished for me to execute. I glanced at it and said that I believed our operation couldn't afford to compensate him for leaving, and that his own irrational and unprofessional behaviour had precipitated the decision of our 'landlord' to make such a demand. "What!" he exclaimed "It's severance and this is my business too, don't forget that. I could refuse to leave, you know?"

I shared that the best I could recommend would be a small stipend for one month and then he'd have to make sure the other operation were able to pay him. I'd hired someone to take over his duties and paying both for a protracted period of time would be a drain on the company. His response was less than appreciative. "Let's forget all this crap; let's sell everything and move to Europe next week. This is insane, you know I have children to support". I found his comment rather peculiar. He'd relied upon me to wire money to pay the child support for several years, his wages had rarely been used towards marital obligations and we'd lived on my income alone. I reiterated that a stipend for 30 days seemed reasonable. He stood up, slammed his fist on the desk and demanded that if I did not sign the agreement by that evening, he would remain and, per the requirement, I would be forced to leave my position. "I'll make sure of it; I don't want to leave and you and your group are forcing me to. I've been reasonable, let's not overlook that fact. What sort of a wife would not be supportive of her husband?"

He stormed out of the room and I did not hear from him until late that night. But the perfunctory call from KMC came in within a matter of minutes.

No comments: