“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Unwelcome instrusions

hen DF reported that he thought he'd lost the "infamous" cell phone in a snow drift in the driveway, I breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Although he'd rarely brought it into the house and would leave it in the truck at night, it always concerned me that he had retained it after the affair was over. I promptly suggested we secure another and place it on the same package as mine, but he refused. Although it surprised me it wasn't a shock. He had never needed a cell phone in the US and had only kept one in Switzerland that was compatible to the cellular system there for when he visited his family.

Significant accumulation of snow in January provided good opportunity for us to hit the nearby ski slopes. We made it a habit to go at least once a week in January, choosing days during the midweek, instead of weekends, to avoid the crowded lift lines. DF was keen to try out the snowboard that he'd received at Christmas from KMC, while I kept to familiar skis and tried the expert runs where there were fewer people. The exercise was both immensely enjoyable and invigorating. We're both quite athletic and long winters precluded many of the other outdoor activities we typically engaged in.

As a side note, we both continued working out at the gym. I at one we'd been members of for years and he at the one KMC had lured him to when we were separated. I chose not to transfer to his gym. The term gym was a misnomer, it was more like a "lek" and and as a result not at all surprising that both would become members. For those unfamiliar with the term, to put it lightly a lek is an assemblage of male species performing to females that frequent for the distinct purpose of copulation.

Anyway, back to the slopes. We'd arrange to meet at the chairlift to ride up together. It was our second visit to Crystal that I thought I heard a familiar voice behind us in the lift line. Turning around I noticed KMC standing in the line, unaccompanied. Ok, it's just a coincidence, I thought. After all, she'd purchased the snowboard for him, so she must also board.

However, when this occurred on successive visits, it ceased to be a coincidence. It was as if our activities were being monitored. Not on the mountain, as we took different slopes, but while we were riding the lifts. Determined not to bring attention to the fact, I tried not to make eye contact, but I was aware that we were being watched and pondered how she would know what days we'd be there.

We'd purchased a laptop for use in our jointly owned business. DF removed it from the house when he left, and he used it to send emails and letters to me during the separation. Upon returning to the marriage, I was asked if I could contact our company IT tech to see if it could be repaired. Apparently, it had been knocked off the bed by KMC's daughter and was not functioning. Kelly, my IT man, picked it up and said he'd have a look at it.

With no cell phone, or laptop at DF's disposal meant the only form of contact with KMC would have to be either via the business or home phone. There were the times when the business phone would ring and if close I'd answer only to hear a click and the phone line go dead. This occurred at least 3 or 4 times a day for a period of 2 weeks. Taking the phone with me to a remote area of the building, I pressed *69 to find the last number dialed to be her number. Keeping to my promise, I made little more of it other than to let DF know that she had called. He steadfastly denied it, claiming that I must have been mistaken. But I knew I wasn't.

Furthermore, there was a whole range of similar odd occurrences that, individually, would not amount to much, but, collectively, could certainly suggest that contact was being made or at least attempted. However, I said nothing and considered that it could simply be a case of an ex-lover not being able to let go. It certainly did not necessarily mean that something was being kept under cover. Nevertheless, knowing this and keeping it quietly to myself was a great test of my resolve. Until February, that is.

DF had informed me that KMC was planning on opening an operation similar to ours, but on the other side of town and he'd promised, while we were separated, to help her to do the building rehabilitation. He said she had counted on his help. DF claimed that theirs was a simple friendship and both he and she knew and respected the rules of engagement. Besides, he'd really welcome the money and would feel as if he were contributing more to the marriage, financially, if he were to take the contract. It was to begin on February 1, 2003 and last approximately a month. He'd perform the construction around his work schedule at our business. It was not uncommon for him to do this sort of work. He'd handled some projects like this while in Europe.

I wasn't too keen on the idea, especially given that I knew she'd been trying to reach him, but I was reluctant to register my apprehension as this would mean that I wasn't as willing to trust again, as I had ventured I would. Determined not to colour our already-fragile marriage with suspicion and doubt, I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and agreed.

Opportunity to spend time together ceased from that day forward. DF spent each night until 10Pm at the site and most weekends too. And while I had no means to reach him there to query when he would be home for dinner, or to tell him I was going to work out, I also never let my mind begin to question what might be going on. That would not be necessary, as on February 10 in the morning, at a time when he was supposedly building the cabinet work on site, I received the call.

The phone first rang in my office, but my receptionist declined to put the call through without knowing the name of the person calling. Then the phone in my conference room rang, but I couldn't get to it before it stopped. Then my cell phone began to ring. Thinking that it must be an emergency, I excused myself from the meeting I was conducting to step outside into the conference room. A familiar voice was on the other end. I could recognise that voice anywhere, as in November of the year prior she'd called me in tears after they had fought, begging to talk and crying that she held me responsible for the difficulties they were having in their relationship. I know, incredible, right? I digress, but indeed such a call was made, and not only once.

Back to the current call. This time she was asking for my help. I was told that I should drive to the next town and pick up DF. Evidently, the truck was at the building site and he was walking from her home. She went on to say that they'd argued over a book he'd spied in her bedside table, in which a boyfriend had inscribed some sort of message. That lead me to ask why my husband was in her bedroom... the answer, of course, was "well we couldn't help ourselves".

She begged me again to pick DF up ~ that he'd refused a ride from her. Sickened by this news, I said calmly, "If this is true, then I'm afraid even if he were walking from Siberia, I wouldn't pick him up, but thank you for the call" and promptly put down the phone.

No comments: