“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Double, double, toil and trouble

...Fire burn, and cauldron bubble ~ Macbeth, Shakepeare
Tolerance, or the capacity of an organism to handle unfavourable environmental conditions, varies relative to any number of factors. Individuals cope with painful and stressful situations differently and, for some, striking out at the source is the chosen path.

My partner in business, who’d witnessed much of the antagonism, unprofessional conduct and verbal abuse if anyone dared to confront DF or his cohort, made a recommendation that DF leave the premises. The two businesses, operating within the same facility, were unrelated except for my involvement in both and that the jointly-owned operation that DF and I shared was under a lease agreement with the main company for space.

I received written notification that the lease would not be renewed were DF to continue managing it. He had until May 31st to vacate and although I perceived this move as a little irrational, if I were not able to convince him to cooperate a threat that the board of directors would be approached to vote on whether I should be asked to resign my position as steward of the company. Indeed, in the past 6 months there had been numerous episodes to the detriment of both business activities and these had been without justification and totally out of line.

This new development posed some difficulty for me. Either way one of us would have to leave. Either DF or I. I set out to consider the best manner in which to handle this. Recognising that even a temporary loss of my income would impact our lifestyle far more than the loss of his (especially since his salary was used for his personal needs alone and to underwrite his child support. He contributed nothing of his income to our day-to-day living expenses. I knew, intuitively, that DF would have be the one to go.

But, the question was how to go about making this happen? How could I ask him to give up his position, without throwing a spanner in the works and also exposing myself to his wrath? The requirement to comply with the dictate and make sure it was completed before the beginning of May would play right into DF's hands, as what occurred in the next few weeks would surely demonstrate.

No comments: