“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Trapped, paralysed

vents, afterward, would unfold in quick numbing succession as if by some premeditated design. The spider injects toxin into the prey, sufficient to paralyse it, then wraps it in a silken shroud to devour later.

After much deliberation and pressure from both of them, I agreed to remunerate DF after his departure, but not on a severance arrangement. I proposed that the company pay him the difference between what he was earning, and what I had negotiated with the replacement staff member. In return, DF would be required to continue performing managerial tasks that could be handled from off premises. Principally, this required a modicum of effort, perhaps 6 hours all told during the week and would be sufficient to more than adequately cover his child support payments. The stipend was to commence June 1, payable on a bi-weekly basis. DF came home from his new job with an agreement with the terms all laid out and asked me to sign it, as partner for the firm.

The mortgage company had remitted the pay out of the equity by a check made payable to me and I deposited it into the money market account on the following morning. DF asked that I transfer it into the joint checking account, as he was interested in looking for a new vehicle, since the truck was offered for sale and he'd had a buyer express interest in it. Since the title to the truck was in my name, and his work schedule would not permit leaving at all, he asked that I sign the truck over to him and then he could take care of the sale from the next town without asking for time off from his new job.

When DF came home that night he was driving KMC's sports car. When I enquired about the truck he said he'd sold it and agreed that he'd deposit the money in the joint checking account after looking for a new vehicle that following week-end. I agreed that we could test-drive some together, at which point he said, "A fellow from work knows a great dealer downstate and has offered to take me to a couple of places, I'll be going next Friday night after work and hope to find something to drive back before Sunday". Of course, I was not invited.



Friday morning, at 5:30am, and in normal fashion, DF left to go to work, and I never saw him again.


Some Cupid kill with arrows, some with traps.
Much Ado About Nothing ~ Shakespeare

No comments: