“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Cave quicquam incipias quod paeniteat postea

Cave quicquam incipias, quod paeniteat postea
Minus decipitur, cui negatur celeriter.

During the first month or so as an ILW member, I'd received a great deal of advice from one prominent member that I'll refer to as BS. It was clear that BS had good comprehension of the immigration process, and always took time to prepare comprehensive answers to my many questions. There's no question that it was helpful to know the various options that lay before me, and when I consulted the immigration attorney in December it was handy to pose the various scenarios to him and receive confirmation that these were indeed accurate.

BS emailed me a couple of times, offering to continue to help and introducing himself and providing a little more detail as to his identity. I returned the courtesy, advising him of more details of the situation I had recently found myself in. The night of the invitation to the ILW chat room, BS was one member that also chose to participate. Upon receiving the instant message from "irritated" I chose to continue a conversation with him, rather than to enter the chat room. We quickly learned that we had a fair amount in common and a keenness to learn more about each other.

Within a matter of days, my new friend from ILW and I had begun chatting regularly ~ I enjoyed him immensely right from the beginning and the chemistry between us was clear. At the same time, BS continued to email with the hopes of getting to know me better. When I did not answer right away one comment made in a subsequent email from BS caused me to wonder if perhaps he had taken my friendliness the wrong way. Although I valued his advice, I was not interested in anything more than a friendship. In an interest to spare any hurt feelings, I chose to curtail some areas of discussion and keep the contact much less frequent and light, hoping that this was the right way to communicate that we shared different interests.
Beware of starting what one might later regret,
It's a lesser mistake to say "no" at once.

No comments: