“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

You say gluttonous, I say glutinous

I felt rather strange entering the office building and heading to Suite 201. Mr. Vann had been kind enough to make time to meet with me the morning following my call. Naturally, he asked of my reason for the appointment and I shared that I wasn't really sure. I just needed to talk. I might have been the only client he had that was attending marriage counseling alone, but was hopeful that he could offer me some advice. I was given a questionnaire to fill out, and a second copy to take home to DF. Mr. Vann assured me that even if DF would not attend, the worksheet was designed, specifically, to identify sensitive areas and he'd be able to recommend practices even if I were the only one willing to attend and listen. Not wishing to preempt his suggestion and attempt to explain where I felt the problem lay, I complied and filled out the 5-page report and made an appointment for the following week, when I could return with DF's copy.

When I presented DF with the questionnaire and asked him to complete it and come with me the following week, he refused, muttering that he required no shrink to tell him how to live his life. "Mr. Vann is not a pyschiatrist, he's a marriage counselor that is willing to help us to put this marriage back on track", I said. "Same difference" he declared and picked up the newspaper, using the questionnaire as a convenient coaster for his tea cup. And there it remained for the next 4 weeks, untouched, incomplete, and used as a splat mat. I met with Mr. Vann for another 3 weeks in the hope that I could gain a few pointers on how to improve the situation myself. I have to admit after the fourth session, and without any input from DF, it seemed pointless to continue.

On my way to the counselling sessions, I'd passed a vacant building in a perfect spot that I thought would be a good location for a gym ~ a business venture DF had always expressed a keen desire to own. I recommended that he consider the idea and that I would assist in getting it put together and acquire the capitol to finance it. He found one excuse after another for not following through. In retrospect, I believe he liked the idea of ownership, but was apprehensive to undertake something entirely on his own, without me as a safety net. And so he proclaimed that he'd be joining KMC's operation on June 1. Of course, his agreement to leave our business by the end of the following month was predicated on a number of requirements that he made very explicit. Most to do with finances and having more access to money. That's when he first mentioned refinancing my house. There were several agreements he wanted to have in place, all to add his name to the titles of my separate property and assets. He also told me that he felt that unless I were willing to do so, what did that say of my commitment to the marriage? I had no problem adding his name to anything we jointly owned, and was willing to review anything he wished to put down on paper.




It would only be a matter of days before KMC would begin to make contact, again...........

No comments: