“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Far east or west?


esuming chat sessions at normal daily intervals and of typical 12-hour duration, in mid-February 2004, was a relief. Doug shared what he cited as the "good" and "bad" news. The "good" was that he would not be required to go to Japan on the contract after all, and would be required to oversee a project in San Diego instead. He expected to be in the field for 3 months beginning in March. I'd secretly planned that if he were required to be in Tokyo for a while, I'd make an impromptu visit, since I had never visited the Orient, yet had studied the culture and was somewhat fluent in the language. Also, I sensed that he was keen to take on the project but I was perhaps a little apprehensive of his being away so long. Of course I wouldn't just drop in unannounced, but hoped that once he was settled there he'd want some company.

The news that he wasn't going to be on another continent was a nice surprise and certainly a 3-hour time difference between east and west coast was manageable, as opposed to one of 14 or more hours in Japan. I welcomed the news, knowing that San Diego was but a small hop away.

The "bad" news was that he'd be heading out before the second week in March and the plans to join him aboard "Folie" would have to be postponed. She'd arrived in Tallahassee with a cracked hull and would be in dry dock for at least 30 days under repair. Nonetheless, I knew that once his project on the West coast was completed, she'd be ready to sail again and I'd be contently and finally divorced. All in all, it seemed as if things would move forward nicely.

Our chats became once again steeped with longing. Many a night in late February we'd find ourselves chatting as dawn would break. Somehow the rigors of work and the long nights spent learning about each other and relishing what we had yet to discover when together in person was not at all exhausting. Once tucked into bed after logging off for the night, well perhaps morning, I'd reflect on the descriptions Doug had shared of long bubble baths, and strawberry oil, candles, soft sweet caresses and... well let's simply say I was also curious to see this distinguishing feature he'd described to me and to witness and experience a man of such virtual passion in person.

No comments: