“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Morphology

houlders to the grindstone for more than a week, both Doug and I felt like celebrating when we finally came up for air. I was heading towards an important and large revenue-producing weekend in my business operations that required some intensive preparation and he'd just completed only one of the two contracts that were at deadline. Consequently, we decided to celebrate for one night by chatting.

I'd been asked to furnish more photographs to Doug. He'd scientifically analysed them and reported on his scientific profile of me. I'd done basically the same with his and asked about the signet ring he was wearing in one photograph taken in what appeared to be the Grand Canyon. "Man you're observant" he commented. "That's my Grandfather's ring". We chuckled. We were, indeed, two peas in a pod and looked at many things in the same way.

Both fascinated with language, I'd come to refer to him sometimes as "prose pro". He had a penchant for correct choice of words, spelling and syntax and we agreed that both of us could get a little pedantic, well, perhaps anal would be a more appropriate reference at times. Our online chats often lapsed into discourse of the differences between American-English and British-English mainly due to the interest we both had in vocabulary, grammar and proper syntax.

He was in the science and technology field, but was surprised to learn that I was somewhat familiar with the field. He picked up on my knowledge of "prions", claiming that it was not something the "average Joe" would know. Neither of us missed much ~ we both had an acuity for detail.

The chat was, as usual, refreshing, convivial and rife with unrestricted sensual energy. In the wee hours of the morning, with still much work to complete before the weekend, we logged off. It would be "back to business" until Friday night. Once nestled snugly in bed, I'd reminisce on the conversations and the sound of his deep, crystal clear voice resonating from the speakers of my computer and quickly drifted into dreams of us exploring Madagascar or some exotic land filled with unique flora and fauna.

No comments: