“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Pessimum periculum quod opertum latet

The ILW administrator replied to my email enquiry the first week of March. The email instructed me to call the New York office on the following Wednesday ~ the only day in the week when the administrator would be available by phone.

I made the call that was quickly connected to the manager in charge. He'd reviewed my request, written on behalf of Doug, enquiring as to the reason his posting privileges had been revoked the prior month. Doug didn't intend on posting anymore, but he was irritated that he'd been penalised without explanation and subsequent emails from him had been summarily dismissed. While the administrator or manager said couldn't divulge all of the pertinent details to me, he did indicate that ILW deemed "irritated" to be involved in the phantom posts on the board.

I asked how ILW had arrived at this conclusion. The manager shared that the phantom posts were not really the issue, but that ILW had a policy that no ID created by a member should imply either "moderator" or "administrator" status. I was confused.
"Look, I'm not really interested in someone who created an ID like that. I'm only interested in knowing why you took such an aggressive stance with my friend" I asked.
The manager replied, "The individual behind the various hijacked IDs and a 'moderator' ID IS your friend. The IP address was from an educational institution in Florida".
I queried, "Can you tell me which institution that would be?"
"Yes, Florida State" he answered.

Doug was teaching and conducting labs at a university in Tallahassee, the same institution. I asked for the IP address, but the manager told me he was not at liberty to divulge that either. Instead, he suggested that if I had either an IP address or an ISP address for my friend, he'd be more than willing to check to see if they matched. I fumbled, while cradling the phone on my neck, to open the first email Doug had sent to me to see if I could retrieve such information. I'd never taken a look at the header information before. I located two of the first three emails he'd sent to me in early January and rattled off the numbers.

"It's a check. Yes, that's right" the manager stated. "Not only the same institution, but the same dial up and Department", he said. Stunned, but not yet willing to believe that what was being said was true, I asked once more for the manager's last name to receive only the following comment,
"You can just call me Sam".


The worst danger is one that lurks unseen

No comments: