“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Good angel; bad angel!

ccording to theologians of the medieval age, there's a hierarchy amongst angels. The levels referred to as an angelic choir. At the base of the hierarchy, the guardian angel, concerned with human affairs and assigned to an individual, is a messenger.

Convention portrays angels with wings, necessary to symbolise their spiritual role. Their wisdom and all encompassing knowledge is intended to provide them with good judgment, but since angels can be both powerful and dreadful, they're not necessarily infallible.

Doug mentioned in early January that he'd initially made contact with me in the ILW chat room to apologise for some comments that he'd directed at me on the ILW forum. "Inane" was the term he used. It hadn't become clear to him what horrible issues I was grappling with until I posted that I would be leaving the board. He'd wanted to offer support to me at what was clearly a difficult time. That was his initial intent. It changed within a matter of days.

We had what was an immediate and an inexplicable attraction that was difficult to temper. By late February, despite Doug's attempts to keep things on an emotionally even plane and not to introduce any additional variables until I had finalised my divorce, he often fell prey to what he claimed was my "passionate side". He'd been sent as a "guardian angel" to help me back on my feet, yet aware that he was finding difficulty not becoming emotionally involved, we joked about the good angel, bad angel dynamics and how Doug might be reassigned for breaching his angel duties.
The good angel swooped in on a mission, principally, to bolster my fragile self-esteem, having been emotionally drained by DF and KMC's antics. But at times a bad angel emerged as he commited angel improprieties in becoming too attached and personally attracted to his subject and wishing to follow through on that. The discourse we shared would be a constant battle to keep the "bad angel" at bay and let the "good angel" prevail. We failed miserably, most of the time...but it was OK with me. He was enchanting.

No comments: