“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Winged cupid

I was anxious for Friday to arrive. The weeks prior, without much chatting time I was certainly missing the companionship. All preparations for the upcoming holiday weekend had been made well in advance of Friday and my company was poised for our events. We'd be full on Saturday ~ a big day for us. Thursday night I stayed late at the office knowing that Doug would be wrapped up with his project the following day and then we'd have a whole weekend to catch up on things.

Surely, as expected, he checked in with me on Friday just prior to posting his contract in FedEx. It was great to see his online message pop on my screen. I was all smiles. Having to dash to catch the last post for the day, he promised we'd chat later that evening. I headed home through a two-foot snowfall that had accumulated during the day, the chilly air couldn't pierce the warm feeling I had inside. During the past week his emails had been so welcome. He'd apologised for having to go "cold turkey" for a week or more to get his work done, and had admitted, in retrospect, that it might have been easier on both of us if we'd simply agreed to keep our daily chat to an hour at maximum. Nonetheless, he was happy it was behind him and we would have time to be together again.

While waiting for our chat session, thoughts raced through my mind of his earlier email invitation to Florida for this weekend and how I'd alarmed him with my response. Knowing how unconventional he was, I wouldn't be suprised if Valentine's Day was not a holiday he celebrated. He'd told me once that he didn't subscribe to the festivities that some "marketing bloke on Madison Avenue dreamed up" just to drive sales. Yet, inside, despite my answer that it'd be better to delay meeting until after my divorce, I was hoping he'd surprise me show up here in the Great White North this weekend. anyway. I was prepared to vanish from the office at a moment's notice and play out the sensual bathtub fantasies we'd shared. The prospect of meeting him was tantalising. I'd spent many a night with him on the beaches in Fiji, but here was a chance (if I wasn't mistaken) where he could really surprise me and we'd have a chance to play out all the dream-filled imagery in person.


Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind
~ Shakespeare

No comments: