“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

More ex-ploy-tation


Morning came and not too soon. I'd not rested well, partly due to keeping one ear open for any sound that could indicate forced entry, and due to my concern that I'd not heard much from Doug since the post was loaded to ILW. I was anxious to get to the office to see if there was an answer to my last instant message. Alas, nothing!

The next week or more was, nonetheless, disquieting. I never knew what I'd encounter when arriving home, after the threat made by KMC, and my time spent at the office was eerily empty of pleasant chats with Doug. The 15th of March was quickly approaching when he'd be leaving for the West coast. Not wishing to appear to inconsiderate of the multitude of things he might be readying in preparation for his departure, I dashed off another quick IM wishing him a great day, and asking that he at least let me know if he was receiving them.

It would be two weeks before I would learn, accidentally, through a colleague that the flurry of calls made by KMC was merely a ploy to inflict more emotional distress on me. One of her messages left on my cell phone that day began with "Hello, this is KMC. Your voicemail announcement sounds much too chipper and cheery. It should be much sadder for someone going through what you are..." and ended with an accusation that I "was a prostitute and slept with men for money".

On the very same night that KMC had called me to inform me that DF had been thrown out of her home and that he was fully intending to move back into mine, they encountered a mutual colleague at a local basketball game, and announced that they were celebrating (well, gloating really) at having successfully accomplished their goal.

This type of cruel behaviour would continue well beyond the day my divorce became final in the last week of April 2004.


No comments: