“Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive” ~ Sir Walter Scott.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Traversing forbidden territory

Once my corporate tax preparation had been delivered to the CPA, I'd enjoy a relaxed work schedule until spring. Doug had a remarkable ability, he claimed, to multi-task. Often reviewing contracts and data, while being active in our online discussions. We continued to chat regularly throughout the remaining weeks in February. Since his email of February 1, when Doug had shared his contact information with me and offered the invitation to join him in Tallahassee, I was mindful that he'd declared that he would depart for 90 days until my divorce was finalised because he had difficulty resisting the temptation to act upon some of the interests we would share in chat. We made a pact to try to keep conversation light and fluffy to try to relieve the sexual tension. Nonetheless, it was quite clear that neither of us could stay on course long before we'd find ourselves traversing forbidden turf and lapsing into territory where "La chair est faible" (the flesh is weak).


After Doug's Yahoo ID, Clark Reynolds, had been used by someone on ILW to continue the upheaval, when he logged on to try to post a reply to BS's post directed at him, he learned that his ID had been banned. "What!" I exclaimed. "Yes, that's right, ILW has banned my access. What's more irritating is that I was posting from both my office and the college where I teach, and so both IP nodes have been blocked and so no students at the college can post on ILW either. It's crazy!".

I asked what could be done about it and he claimed that other than having the tech set up a new IP node for his office, little could be done. He didn't intend to post on ILW in the future, and had taken a break from ILW after meeting me in January anyway. It was the principle that bothered him and he had wanted to clear up information posted about him by BS that was not correct. I agreed and offered to contact the webmaster at ILW to see if I could find out more, but we both suspected that perhaps this was one more bit of havoc created by the imposter.

And so, as the Publicus maxim goes, "Ut incepit fidelis sic permanet" ~ " Loyal as she began, so she remains", I agreed to craft a response, on his behalf, as soon as I could complete the necessary research on the matter. But first, a pointed email to the ILW administrator, querying why his ID had been banned would be necessary.

No comments: